Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Welcome To My Blog!


Photo By BlizzardTerrak Photography

Hello! Through my blog I will be informing YOU about cosplay. Cosplay stands for costume playing and it is when you dress up like a character from any anime,video game, movie, tv show, or anything of that sort. Cosplaying is typically done in conventions that relate to comic books, video game, tv shows, or anime. I participate in these conventions but I am fairly new to cosplaying. I made a lot of friends that cosplay and so it has influenced me to start cosplaying as well. Cosplaying is not something that is well known but it is slowly getting recognition. The purpose of my blog is to take you on an exploration of the world of cosplay through the lens of someone who is fresh to the scene.

Cosplaying can be a broad topic but I plan to narrow it down so that you will learn about it's origins and also how YOU can get involved. I plan to submerge myself into this culture and take you with me. Some of the topics I plan to cover are:
  • Origins
  • Conventions Popular For Cosplaying
  • Starting On Your Own Cosplay
  • The Life of Professional Cosplayers
  • Photographers and Videographers in Cosplay Culture
  • The Issues in Cosplay Culture
  • My Own Pursuits In Cosplay Culture
The topics I cover may grow and change as this blog progresses. I will include my own personal experiences in my post in order to provide you guys with a unique point of view.
So a quick background about myself. My first experience with cosplay was 3 years ago when I went to my first convention. I attended Fanime, a fairly large convention located in San Jose. I did have a good friend who cosplayed and was the one to persuade me to attend this convention. At this time I did not know too much about cosplay except that it involved people dressing up. However, the idea of this seemed fun and so I decided to get involved. My friend helped me put together a quick Pikachu inspired outfit and also had me commision for a Steampunk inspired Alice in Wonderland dress. Now, these outfits were simple and nothing compared to what the pros could pull of.
 Anyways, so I attended Fanime and I had the best time of my life. I met people with similar interests as me and made quick friends. I managed to meet people who had impeccable costumes and who had been attending conventions for year. The dedication that they put into this hobby was definitely unbelievable.

In my second year attending Fanime I spent more time that year immersing myself with the events and admiring all the dedicated cosplayers. This was the year I learned about another important group of people within cosplay culture. These people didn't dress up but were still very dedicated members of this culture; they were photographers and videographers. These were people that admired cosplay and the dedication put into it but they also had a dedication of creating a great quality photo or video depicting the cosplayer as best as they possibly could. Certain photographers and videographers have gained as much recognition as some some of the biggest cosplayers. They are an important part of the culture as well because there is somewhat of a mutualistic relationship between Cosplayer and Photographer that work to help this culture grow.

This year will be my third year attending Fanime. A lot of the people that I have met through this convention have persuaded me to get more involved and so this year I will also be attempting to create my own cosplays. This will involve a lot of learning on my part but thankfully I am surrounded by the great resources that are my cosplaying friends.

 Hopefully, while I learn about becoming one of the pros, you can too!

No comments:

Post a Comment